Sunday, January 26, 2020

Time Travel and Fog

So yesterday, I went to the temple kind of early. Early, meaning college student early, since I woke up at like 7. Anyways, the walk there was a bit chilly since these past few days have been extremely foggy. When I got to the temple, this was the view that awaited me. 

For those of you who have never been to the Provo temple, this sign sits at the front of the temple grounds, less than a football field's distance away from the actual temple. But since the fog was so dense, it was impossible to see the temple even from so close. 
Now. Travel back in time with me...
It is April 5th, 1829. You're a good friend of Joseph Smith, and you're there when this random schoolteacher, Oliver Cowdery, shows up on Joseph's doorstep, shares his story about how he came to know the Smith family, and states his interest in Joseph's work. Two days later, this random man is already acting as a scribe for Joseph in the work of translating the Book of Mormon. 
Wait, what? 
The part that really got me about this story was the TWO DAYS part. Oliver went from never having met the prophet to being his scribe for one of the most important works of the Restoration. I can't imagine how Joseph and Oliver must have felt about the situation. I'm not sure if Joseph would have felt surprised by it all, as I'm sure he was used to God providing miracles in moments of absolute need, but I'm sure he felt incredibly grateful that God had provided help for him. But I really wonder how Oliver felt. He couldn't have possibly guessed how involved he would be in the work of the restoration. Yet, even after only two days, he seemed to have sensed that there was something different about Joseph and something special about the work he was to do. Oliver was ready and willing to do the Lord's will, even after just two days. 
Alright. Back to 2020 people. 
It might seem a little crazy that Oliver was called to serve so quickly, but the reality is, life often happens that way. Like Oliver, we need to not only be ready, but worthy, prepared, and willing to accept the will of the Lord. We can't be complacent about our preparation. We can't metaphorically walk onto the temple grounds, walk past the temple sign, and keep right on walking towards the temple, then act surprised when it appears out of nowhere from the fog. What? The temple? I was not expecting that! It doesn't work that way. 
So what can we do to be prepared? 
That's for each of us to figure out. What I will say, however, is that I'm sure whatever the challenges that appear, we will not be alone. 
Have a great day everyone! 

See Joseph Smith-History 1:66-67 to learn more. It's linked above. 
Photo creds: Me:) 


No comments:

Post a Comment