Monday, July 1, 2019

Chapter 1 of Real Summer

Funny 
This week, I accompanied our missionaries to go visit a local family. They have some of the cutest little kids I have ever seen, including a very young daughter. The other day, we were talking about the importance of baptism. The little girl jumped into the lesson and shouted, "I don't want my brother to be baptized!"
"Why?' we said confusingly.
"Because he's going to die!"
Whaaaaaaa?
After a couple of clarifying questions, we realized that she thought that when you get baptized you die. I don't know if she was afraid her brother was going to drown in the water or just straight up keel over dead at immersion, but that's why she was so scared for her brother's baptism. We all got a good laugh out of it and assured her that baptism is not a death wish.

Cultural 
After several years living out of state in Utah and then out of country in Argentina and Paraguay, I have learned that people have a... very interesting concept about what California culture is like. They think we all surf. And meet famous people. And eat vegan gluten free free range hamburgers with sides of sautéed vegetables or something like that. I promise we don't all fit that California cookie cutter.
But, in one aspect, I am as stereotypical as it gets. I. Love. The. Beach. So. Much.
This week my brother managed to convince me to go to the beach at FIVE THRITY IN THE MORNING and stay all day. We woke up at 4:15 to get there on time. The water was freezing, but I went in anyway. So worth it.
And now I have an epic wet suit tan. I feel like I can finally start my summer!

Spiritual 
This Sunday, a group of men sang I know that My Redeemer Lives for sacrament meeting. It was a beautiful experience. The tone and pitch was great, but what really sold the show was the emotion I saw on the choir member's faces. Some sang with gusto and conviction, proud witnesses of Christ's resurrection. Others sang in quiet reflection, as if they were still striving to understand the significance of the redemption. And still others could not sing, only cry and feel.
I was touched by the outpouring of testimony that I felt from those humble men. They are men that I have known since birth, many of whom have supported and blessed our family for years. It was an honor to hear their heartfelt testimonies sung in fervent conviction.

Love you all and sending prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment